Friday, August 17, 2012
PICC line
Unfortunately, the PICC line insertion procedure was unsuccessful. They allowed me to be in the room the whole time! I had to wear a blue surgery hat over my hair and a face mask since it had to be a sterile environment. They even recruited me to hold her arm down under the sterile cloth for an hour. I am going to be so sore tomorrow. I had to switch hands in the middle of it because my right arm was starting to shake with fatigue. I think I told you that Aliyah typically has myoclonic spasms only as she is drifting off to sleep. Once she reaches a certain depth of sleep, they completely subside. Well, the sedation that they gave her for the procedure put her in that "drifting off to sleep" stage. When they first put the medication through the IV, she started making this choking, loud snoring sound. At the same time, her upper body started violently spasming. It was very disturbing to see her like that! I asked the doctor how she knew those weren't seizures. She said that she didn't. Not comforting! She was going to give Aliyah some seizure medication, just in case, but the spasms settled down to their normal rhythmic pace. Even with me firmly holding her arm down, it looked as though her arm had hiccups. After 3 sticks and digging around for an hour, they decided to stop and go with Plan B. It's too bad...if they had gotten the PICC line in today, then they would have been able to let us go home tomorrow afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment