Saturday, January 25, 2014

Aliyah - Surgery Update #2

Aliyah had to have the bladder scan done, but it didn't seem to bother her.  Her bladder was not overly-full, so they gave her more time to go on her own.  She did!  No cath needed now.  She was able to hold down 2 ounces of her food given over a period of 2 hours via her g-tube.  They would like to see her more hydrated, so they have her back on Pedialyte again.  Aliyah's pain is currently being managed with oxycodone and Tylenol.  We were able to remove the IV line from Aliyah's neck.    It was a pretty large catheter which made a pretty large hole.  The nurse held pressure until the bleeding stopped and then put a band-aid on it.  The nurse left and Aliyah started fussing like she wanted me to hold her.  I started to pick her up and all of sudden I see blood running down her chest getting on my hands and wrists and dripping all over the bed and pillow.  It was oozing from the vein in her neck!  Not knowing what else to do, I put pressure on the spot with my finger and started searching frantically for the Nurse Call button.  In desperation, I started yelling for help, but no one could here me through the heavy door.  I finally found the "Call" button and within seconds the nurse came rushing in to find Aliyah screaming, Mom frantic, and blood all over.  Another RN came in to assist and between the 3 of us, we got it under control.  I'm tired and Aliyah is now sleeping once again.  I'm hoping for an uneventful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment