Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Another Seizure

I woke up just before 3:30am to the sound of a rhythmic noise coming from Aliyah.  It was like she was vocalizing every exhalation.  She had been sleeping on the floor beside my bed.  I quickly jumped up to see what was going on with her.  She had thrown up somewhat recently and was just laying on her side completely limp with her eyes open and rolled up to the right corner.  I picked her up while calling to Randy to wake up.  Once again, she was totally unresponsive.  Randy held her and prayed over her while I located her Diastat (emergency med).  We gave her one dose (2.5 mg) and waited the 10 minutes.  There was no sign of improvement, so we gave her the second dose (2.5 mg) and called for the ambulance per the direction of her neurologist.  After the second dose, her hypotonia changed to minor full-body tremors.  About 5 minutes later, her symptoms started easing and she was relaxing and beginning to fall asleep.  It took about 25 minutes to stop this seizure from the time we were aware of it.  By the time the ambulance arrived, she was vomiting but otherwise stable.  The EMS workers checked all her vitals, blood sugar, etc.  My mom arrived to be with our other children in case we needed to go to the hospital, but it appeared that the neurological crisis was over so everyone went home.  And I (a scared, weepy, thankful Momma) pulled my sweet little girl into bed with me and watched her fall into a restful, deep sleep.

After the EMS workers left, Randy spoke with the neurologist-on-call at Duke.  He didn't seem to think that her maintenance anti-seizure medication needed to be increased.  He said that she would have to have more than one "break-through" seizure for them to increase her dosage.  When Randy told him that most of us are dealing with colds, he said that it is not unusual for a seizure to be brought on by an illness.  Aliyah did have a trace of a runny nose yesterday and a bit of congestion, but no fever.  At the time of her seizure, she didn't have a fever either.  I am confused.  I thought fevers could cause seizures, not just illness.  This is not good news; what that means is that more seizures are inevitable.  That makes me want to cry.  Lord, please protect my baby girl!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! My heart's racing just reading about it. I can't imagine having to deal with it! Sounds like you guys did just the right things though. Praying for no more episodes...

    ReplyDelete