Friday, August 14, 2015

Five weeks down...1 to go!

Aliyah is doing very well.  She's been off all pain meds for about 3 weeks.  We are continuing the Valium to prevent muscle spasms, which would be painful.  The pressure sore on her heel is much improved!  Under a physician's guidance, we opened and drained the sore about 2 weeks ago.  The skin is now firm and dry and no longer warm or inflamed.



As I'm writing this, I am receiving a Vitamin C IV infusion up in Raleigh.  Over the past several weeks, I have been having headaches that have been increasing in frequency and severity.  Last Friday, I woke up from a nap with the left side of my face itching like crazy...Benadryl had no effect on it.  With accompanying migratory joint pain, headaches, nausea, fatigue, and body temperature regulation problems for a couple days following, I suspected a reemergence of Lyme Disease which I struggled with from 2007 to 2009.  A series of Vitamin C IV infusions back in 2009 finally kicked it out of my system...or so I thought.  I have been on antibiotics for 6 days now.  I had an IV infusion on Wednesday and broke out in hives and intense itching all over within 15 minutes of starting the drip.  None of my doctor's patients have ever had that side effect before.  
Doctor: I really don't think you're allergic to the solution.  May I try an experiment on you?  
Me: Uh...sure.  As long as it will help me feel better.
They temporarily stopped the drip and gave me 8 SAM-e and 8 Calcium/Magnesium tablets to swallow.  Within 20 minutes, the hives started to recede.  The drip was restarted and the hives continued to recede.  No allergy!  Apparently, the IV vitamin C either mobilized specific toxins (environmental, viral, bacterial) that my liver couldn't handle well or too many toxins that overwhelmed my liver.  That's where the supplements were  advantageous...to help the liver detoxify.  So, I had a bunch of bloodwork done this morning to check for tick borne diseases and other possible issues.  I'll have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in 2 to 3 weeks and will continue to take antibiotics and receive weekly IV infusions.  The itchy, prickliness remains on the left side of my face, though it is not as intense as it was the first few days, so I'm able to sleep a little better now.  



Aliyah is back to her happy self and she sleeps very well now.  The rest of our kiddos are very helpful to me and allow me to rest as needed.  I am so thankful for all of you who have lifted us up in prayer, provided meals, occupied the children, picked up supplies, etc. We feel loved and cared for.  I am encouraged and hopeful that the doctor will be able to help me with my health issues.  When I first called to set up an appointment with my specialists, they couldn't see me personally until October 19th!  That was discouraging!  However, they did sign an order that allowed me to get infusions.  Thanks to the "hives" incident, I was able to see my doctor that very day and she's now on top of my case.  

So, Aliyah's cast comes off next Friday.  Hurrah!  I look forward to holding my baby girl on my lap and having some sweet cuddles together without the big purple thing in the way.  Some pain is to be expected upon removal since she's been immobilized for so long.  We'll be bringing pain meds back on board for a little while.  Hopefully, it won't be too bad.  Her smiles bring joy and thankfulness to my heart every day!  I am so thankful to God for the privilege of loving her and caring for her special needs.  She is such a gift...like a little piece of heaven in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment